and William C. Richardson established their business under the name of C. &
W. C. Richardson. It was located in Newark, N.J. and the
year was 1859.
Alexander Farnham, who studied extensively and published two
books on toolmakers of New Jersey, in 1866 the business name was
changed to Passaic Saw Works - Richardson Brothers.
Early advertisement, under the
name of C. & W. C Richardson (before 1866), describes company as making
"Warranted Cast Steel and Extra Cast Steel Saws of Every
Description" and also Knives, Cutters, Moulding Irons & Springs
of all Kinds. A Good Assortment on Hand of Circular Saws, Scroll
& Fellow Webs, &c." The company was located at 15 Railroad
Avenue - opposite Market St. Depot.
Early saws from
this period are found to have die-stamps shown to the right.
This particular stamp is from a backsaw with brass back.
shows early, most likely second in order, design without patent
date. The text reads "Richardson Brothers",
and "Newark NJ". In the beak eagle holds a banner with
word "Challenge". This design was used until 1878, when
Maltese Cross trade mark was registered and appeared on new
This suggests that the saw was made before Washbourne
patent of 1867. However, there is no sufficient
information to date these saws with great precision. In
case of Richardson Brothers, there is also appearance of slow
adaptation of new saw screws designs and this factor needs
to be taken into account.
According to Alexander Farnham, who studied extensively and
published two books on toolmakers of New Jersey, in 1866 the
business name was changed to Passaic Saw Works - Richardson
Brothers. Also, the 1873
advertisement in "The Successful Business Men of Newark" shows
their business name as Passaic Saw Works - Richardson Brothers.
In 1874 William
F. Ford published "The Industrial Interests of Newark, N. J.", a
unique review, based on personal interviews with individual
manufacturers in the city. He described Passaic Saw Works
BROTHERS, (Passaic Saw Works) Railroad Place and Commercial
street. Newark has but one saw manufactory, but this one alone
has been sufficient to
place the city in the front rank as
regards the production of the best American saws.
result named has been due to the exertions of the firm named
above. Mr. C. Richardson began the manufacture of saws in
Newark during the year 1859. His brother was associated
with him in the
business, whence arose the firm name. The
brother has since died, and Mr. C. Richardson is now sole
proprietor. From its inception, however, he has been the
master-spirit of the enterprise, and to his practical skill and
originality this branch of American industry is greatly
manufactures all styles and varieties of saws. Original
designs have been introduced, some of which are patented.
Mr. Richardson's main secret of success has been his improved
methods of tempering steel, of which are of his own invention.
One, in particular, was
perfected in 1867 - Apparatus for Tempering Steel Plates,
and at the time created quite a commotion among saw
manufacturers. In the works are used improved styles of
machinery of Mr. Richardson's own designs and patents.
In addition to
the manufacture of saws, Mr. Richardson makes an extra quality
of hay and straw knives, mowing and reaping knives, cane,
mincing knives, and circular and straight machine knives for
cutting rubber; also, moulding and plowing irons, slate and
mitre cutters, and plastering rods.
These goods find
a market in all parts of the country, and the firm supplies
nearly all the leading New York hardware houses. Shipments of
butcher saws are occasionally made to the Liverpool markets. The
working force of the factory numbers 50 men, and the wages paid
weekly amount to $800. At the present rate of production
the goods manufactured annually amount in
value to $70,000."
In late 1870s the name was changed again,
this time to Richardson Brothers.