Henry Disston used this patent as basis for production of his
No. 29, No. 38, No. 39, No. 42, and No. 43 series of saws.
Examples of these saws that I have seen are marked with
patent date of May 12, 1856 instead of May 13, 1856 as dated in
the document below. In Disston
catalogs (1876, 1909, and 1914), pictures of these saws are also marked with the patent date of May
12, 1856 and Jackson Gorham name is in an arch above the date.
The Scientific American, August 15, 1857 (see
below), describes the saw
and indicates to contact H. Williams, assignee, in Atlanta GA
for more information. It also states that Jackson Gorham
received this patent on May 12, 1856.
Hiram Smith specifically mentions this patent as a basis for
his Patent 20,313,
which he assigned to Henry Disston. In his filing
papers, Hiram also used May 12, 1856 date in reference to
Jackson Gorham's patent.
Jackson Gorham himself signed a document shown
below dated May 13, 1856.
Scientific American, August 15, 1857
"The engraving represents
very distinctly a simple yet obviously important
improvement in hand-saws, which enables one tool to
perform the functions of a saw and square with tolerable
The blade of the saw is
perfectly straight on the back, and the front edge of
handle A is made perfectly straight, faced with metal to
prevent be coming bruised or incorrect with use, and is
finished up after being fixed to the saw, so as to be
exactly at right angles to the back of the blade.
The blade is graduated, as
represented, so that it may be used to measure, and
scratch awl B is fitted in a suitable socket in the
handle so as to be always at hand.
It is, of course, necessary
to make the fastening of the handle to the blade very
secure against even the slightest play.
The edge of the handle
being applied to the edge of any work to be marked, the
back of the blade serves in exactly the same manner as
the edge of the ordinary try square.
Its great convenience
should ensure it a rapid introduction. This invention,
one of the simplest ever produced, was secured by
Letters Patent, May 12, 1856.
For further particulars,
address H. Williams, assignee, Atlanta, Georgia. Jackson
Gorham is the inventor."