George H. Bishop & Co. - Lawrenceburg, IN
In the "Hand-saw Makers of North America" Erwin L. Schafer
lists George H. Bishop as located in Cincinnati, OH during
1882 - 1899 and in Lawrenceburg, IN during 1899 - 1920.
"Cincinnati - the Queen City, 1788 - 1912" by Rev.
Charles Frederic Goss, 1912, there is a short bio of Charles
R. Bishop, brother of George H. Bishop.
"Charles R. Bishop, who is now the
head of the George H. Bishop Company, which is the third
largest saw and butcher-supply manufacturing company in the
United States, their plant being situated at Lawrenceburg,
Indiana, was for more than thirty-four years connected with
railroad work. He is a native resident of Cincinnati, his
birth having occurred October 1, 1840. He is the son of John
and Mary Ann (Ryder) Bishop, who died when the subject of
this sketch was only a young child. The father and mother
both came from England in 1835, the father from County Kent,
and the mother from Northamptonshire.
Charles R. Bishop obtained his
early education in the public schools of this city, and
later was a student in the high school at Dillsboro,
Indiana. After leaving his school he took up the blacksmith
trade, which he followed for four years. He then entered the
employ of the old Ohio and Mississippi Railroad Company,
which is now the Baltimore and Ohio, and was a freight
conductor for thirteen years and afterward passenger
conductor for twenty-one years.
In 1893 he entered into
partnership with his brother, George H. Bishop, in his
present business of manufacturing saws and butcher supplies,
under the firm name of the George H. Bishop Company, but
still continued in railroad work. From 1901 to 1903 he was
division superintendent of a western railroad.
The partnership was continued
until the death of George H. Bishop, April 14, 1911.
Since that time Charles R.
Bishop, together with Mr. Louis Duhme, who was also a member
of the firm, has operated the establishment under the firm
name of George H. Bishop Company. Their factory is located
at Lawrenceburg. Indiana, and gives steady employment to two
hundred and forty men."
National Builder magazine for May, 1911 published the
"The many friend of Geo. H. Bishop were shocked to hear
of his sudden death on April 14th, at French Lick
Springs, where he had gone to recuperate after extensive
Mr. Bishop was president of Geo. H. Bishop & Co., of
Lawrenceburg, Ind., and made friends, and retained them
through his genial disposition and kindly manner, which
endeared him to all his acquaintances.
While of the most kindly spirit, Mr. Bishop was at all
times an exceedingly aggressive man. At early age he
left his home in Southern Indiana and made his way to
Cincinnati, Ohio, where his first business experience
was gained in the jewelry establishment of Duhme &
Company. Later in the '80s he became connected with the
National Saw Company, representing them on the Pacific
Coast and in Canada and British Columbia, until their
absorption by another manufacturer.
Mr. Bishop then purchased a factory in Lawrenceburg,
Ind., the present location of the Bishop Saw Works.
He was 32nd degree Mason, Knight Templar and Shriner.
The funeral services were conducted by Trinity Commander
No. 44 of Cincinnati, in the Scottish Rites Cathedral."
In 1919 the George H. Bishop & Co.
merged with James Ohlen & Sons. The following
announcement was published in
October 1919 by The Packages, a monthly
magazine for Wooden Package and Package Stock Industries:
"The James Ohlen & Sons Saw Mfg. Co.,
Columbus, O., and George H. Bishop & Co., Lawrenceburg,
Ind., have merged and will continue under the name of
the Ohlen-Bishop Mfg. Co.
The Ohlen plant at Columbus, and the
Bishop plant at Lawrenceburg will each be immediately
enlarged to meet the greatly increased foreign and
domestic demand for Ohlen saws, Greyhound saws, Bishop
saws and tools and Cincinnati trowels, while every
effort will be made to provide the world-wide patrons of
both companies with service of exceptional character.
More than 66 years' continuous
manufacturing experience on the part of the Ohlen
company—plus 30 years successful history on the part of
the Bishop company will be devoted to the production of
a line of Master saws. The concern will operate plants
at Columbus, O., and Lawrenceburg, Ind. Branch offices
will be maintained at New York City, Atlanta, Ga.,
Cleveland, O., Chicago, 111., St. Louis, Mo., Portland,
Ore., and San Francisco, Calif."
Production of handsaws continued in
Lawrenceburg, IN without
visible changes until Bishop's stock
In 1920 Frederick J. Wuest, aged 73, has resigned as general
superintendent of the George H. Bishop Saw & Edge Tool Mfg.
Co., Lawrenceburg, Ind., after being an employee of the
company for more than 50 years. He was the inventor of many
saws and tools made by the company as well as machinery used
for their production. His inventions and management
contributed greatly to the wealth of the company. The Iron
Age magazine from April 1, 1920 reported that the reason for
resignation and retirement was "failing health."
W. H. Tuthill, Columbus, became the new superintendent.
New production, under auspices of Ohlen-Bishop Mfg. Co.
introduced small changes.
The saws still used Bishop's Greyhound trade mark and his
signature but new numbering convention was used for models
New numbering convention from 1937 catalog.
Over time the Greyhound trademark also disappeared and only
Bishop's name and signature were used. I the example
below is a saw from late 40s:
The etch doesn't include
Greyhound in usual place (left) and new numbering system
example can be seen in the picture on the right.