E. C. Atkins & Co., Inc. - Indianapolis,
1 of 6
E. C. ATKINS & CO. - Manufacturers of Saws and Dealers in Mill
The foundation of this flourishing industry dates back to 1857,
the founder having been Mr. Elias C. Atkins, who selected
Indianapolis as a site for a saw manufactory because of the
abundant timber surrounding it.
His beginning was most modest and unpretending, as became a man
with a capital of only $300 in money. At the outset fortune
appeared to be against him, for twice was his little
establishment destroyed by fire; but he early established a
reputation for furnishing a thoroughly reliable article at a
fair price and his business began to prosper, so that in 1866,
needing an increased capital, he associated with himself
Messrs. Knippenberg & Kappes.
In 1872 Mr. Atkins visited England, in order to obtain better
stock than was obtainable at that time in this country, and
succeeding, on his return began the manufacture of the now
widely known Silver Steel Diamond Cross Cut Saws, of which the
firm is the sole makers. These saws are recognized by the trade
generally as being the best in the market.
In January, 1881, the firm was reorganized, Messrs. George W.
Atkins, Walter L. Gallup and Merritt A. Potter being admitted to
partnership by Mr. Elias C. Atkins. The works have occupied the
same grounds since 1860, and the plant has grown with the growth
of the trade, until now it is one of the largest and best
equipped industrial establishments in the country.
Here one hundred and thirty-five workmen are employed under the
personal supervision of members of the firm. The equipment of
machinery, much of it the invention of the senior partner, is
the very best made, the patents for which are owned by the firm.
The methods used in tempering, straightening and grinding saws
are the latest and most improved and are the outgrowth of Mr.
Atkins' long experience and constant study. Only the finest
grade of saw steel is used and every saw is tested and warranted
perfect in every respect.
The buildings occupied, are substantial and conveniently
arranged brick structures. The annual business now reaches
$400,000, and is increasing from year to year. To supply the
wants of customers they carry a full stock of files, gummers,
emery wheels, belting, saw mandrels, swages and every
description of mill supplies. Mr. E. C. Atkins was born in
Bristol, Conn., in 1833, and learned his trade with his father,
who was one of the first saw manufacturers in this country.
Manufacturing and Mercantile Resources of Indianapolis, 1883
C. Atkins & Company (incorporated), manufacturers of saws and
saw tools, is one of the very oldest industrial establishments
of this city. The beginning of this important business was
laid by Elias C. Atkins in 1856, when he began it single-handed
in a little wooden building about 16 X 20 feet in dimensions.
Today it is recognized as the largest and foremost concern
engaged in the manufacturing of saws in the country. The
firm manufactures solid and insert tooth saws, shingle, heading,
metal, grooving, band, hand, cross-cut, butcher, kitchen,
compass, hack and wood saws; in fact, every style and kind of
saw known to the trade, as well as tools for the care of saws.
The superiority of the Atkins saws has been evidenced by the
gold medals which have been awarded them at the World's Fair,
Chicago, the Paris Exposition and the Pan-American Exposition,
also many other important industrial expositions held in this
country during the last quarter of a century.
Trade extends throughout every state and territory of the United
States, as well as Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe,
Australia, Japan, etc. The works cover over three acres,
with substantial and compactly built buildings ranging from two
to five stories in height, and equipped throughout with the
latest and most improved special machinery, much of which is of
Mr. Atkins' invention and covered by patents.
The company has a capital of $650,000 and does a business of
over $2,000,000 annually. Extensive branches are operated
at Memphis, Tenn., New York City, Atlanta, Ca., Minneapolis,
Minn., and Portland, Ore. The present officers are: H. C.
Atkins, president and superintendent; N. A. Gladding,
vice-president and secretary;
M. A. Potter, treasurer; A. D.
Gates, assistant treasurer, and
F. C. Gardner, cashier.
The Journal, Handbook of
Indianapolis - an Outline History
Max R. Human, Editor, 1902
1 of 6